Monday, August 13, 2012

Interview with Marissa Farrar




Today Marissa Farrar dropped by to answer my interview questions.

 
 1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?

I decided to take the indie route after I’d been published with a number of small presses but failed to see any results. There were things I wanted to try but felt I was being held back by the people who should most want me to succeed – the publishers! After seeing a couple of author friends doing well by self publishing, I decided to take the leap myself. This was in November 2010 and I haven’t looked back.


2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?


The main genre I write in is also the main one I prefer to read, and that’s paranormal fiction. I’ll read and write anything from paranormal romance to pure horror. As long as things that go bump in the dark are involved, I’m there!


3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?


For the most part my sales come from Amazon.com, but over the past six months I’ve watched my sales increased on sites such as Barnes & Noble and Apple. I also have big hopes for Kobo as being the next big thing in indie publishing. At the moment, the breakdown is something like 55% Amazon.com, 15% Amazon.co.uk, 15% Barnes & Noble, 10% Apple, and the remaining 5% on others such as Sony, Smashwords, and Kobo.


4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?


My mother influenced my reading choices the most. She also loves horror and I used to sneak down stairs as a child and read her books by the light of the fishtank. Author-wise, I grew up on a diet of Stephen King, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz and James Herbert.


5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?


Yes, and I have nightmares about having to go back to my day job! I thank every month that goes by and the sales keep coming. I may not be rich just yet, but all I ever really wanted was to be able to provide for my family through what I love doing. I feel so blessed that I am able to live my dream.


6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?


Ooh, I have a pinterest board for that question! I’d love for James Franco to play my brooding vampire, Sebastian, and Natalie Portman would be excellent for Serenity’s character. She has just the right about of vulnerability mixed with sex-appeal! http://pinterest.com/marissafarrar/my-cast-for-the-serenity-series/




7. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?


To use a tool called Autocrit! I swear this program has done more for my writing than anything else!


8. What are your plans for the coming year?


I’m very busy! I have a new novel, Underlife, out at the end of August, and then the fourth book in my vampire ‘Serenity’ series will be out in October. I’m also planning on taking part in NaNoWriMo again this year and making a start on a new paranormal series which is tentatively titled ‘The Spirit Shifters Series’


9. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?


Stephen King’s The Stand, because is huge and I love it. Bridget Jones’s Diary, because I imagine I’d need a laugh, and probably some kind of survival manual!

The first book in my 'Serenity' series is free to download from numerous sites such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords!


 Cover for 'Alone (Book 1 in the Serenity Series)'Pick up a copy of Alone at Smashwords

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Mel! I enjoyed answering your questions. :-)I hope everyone will pick up a free copy of Alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Marissa! Glad as always to hear that you're doing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the mother I knew nothing about the fishtank! My own mother used to tell me off for reading horror books as a child so it runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Mel! Marissa, you sound like one busy gal. Best wishes with all your projects.

    Glynis, worse things could run in your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Marissa. Thanks for your comments folks!

    ReplyDelete