Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Interview with wonderful writer Thea Atkinson.


Blood Witch (a new adult novel of fantasy, magic, and romance: the sequel to Water Witch) (Elemental Magic)

Today my dear friend Thea Atkinson dropped by to answer some questions.


1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?

My husband was diagnosed with MS and I began to look for ways to bring in some passive income. At the time, I discovered Amazon was allowing Canadians to self publish to their Kindle platform and I thought, "Why not?"

I since learned that self publishing was anything but passive.

2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?

I like to try a mix of genres. My usual is what I like to call Left-of-Mainstream. Not quite literary, not quite contemporary, not quite genre. Just a big mix of what interests me, really. I recently began a fantasy series aimed at new adult and up, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?

Amazon UK. I wish I could sell at BN, but there seems to be a secret handshake I know nothing about.

4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?

Honestly? I wanted to be Stephen King. Well, maybe not BE, but be like. I truly loved his work. I also wanted to be like my older brother who was incredibly social and well liked. Not sure why my influences were mostly male. Comes with having three brothers, I suppose.

5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?

Nope. I teach full time and write to soothe the savage beast.

6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?

If it was for Water Witch or Blood Witch, I'd have to say I'd want Mila Kunis to play Alaysha. Her eyes are perfect.

7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner-table.

Jesus
Satan
Hunter S Thompson
My brother, Chris
Jann Arden
Rick Mercer

8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?

Keep writing no matter how much you doubt yourself because you should do it for yourself. Unless it's a job. In that case, keep writing.


9. What are your plans for the coming year?

To edit an erotic thriller and publish under a pen name, To outline and finish the 3rd book in the Elemental Magic series, and to release a few short stories. Oh, and get a haircut. I always forget that one.

10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?

Empty notebooks count?

Author Bio:

Thea Atkinson is a writer of character driven fiction; call it what you will: she prefers to describe her work as psychological thrillers with a distinct literary flavour. As in her bestselling novel, Anomaly, her characters often find themselves in the darker edges of their own spirits but manage to find the light they seek.

She has been an editor, a freelancer, and a teacher, but fiction is her passion. She now blogs and writes and twitters. Not necessarily in that order.

Please visit her blog for ramblings, guest posts, giveaways, and more
http://theaatkinson.wordpress.com
or follow her on twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/theaatkinson
You can buy her latest release Blood Witch here:

Others:

Water Witch

Formed of Clay

Anomaly

No comments:

Post a Comment